Spindle Chalkboard



Happy Back-to-School-Season! My kiddos are LOVING their teachers and friends, old & new. Makes this momma happy. Already their spongy brains are soaking up the reading and math skills and we're swelling with pride! 

The only drawback to school is loosing our slow-start mornings. I didn't realize how draining it had been on me until Friday afternoon when I went to pick up my son from testing...my daughter's testing was earlier that day so she had a friend over while her brother was at school. We rushed out the door to drop off her friend and pick up her brother, I'm not known for my punctuality but am trying to change that...it was whirlwind trip trying to be on time. 

While waiting for my son I noticed that my feet felt funny. Looking down I saw this:
Yep, ran out the door so fast I slipped on two different flip flops. My daughter started laughing loudly which caused many parent heads to turn my way. Oh goodie. Well, hopefully this will be the most embarrassing thing to happen this year. ~fingers crossed~ 

And back to the chalkboard: 




This isn't the final resting place for this chalkboard. Originally I was hoping to set it on top of my cabinets, but its about half an inch too tall. I'm in the process of making a shelf over the sink, so maybe there? We'll see. Crafting and decorating is pretty fluid around here.






The chalkboard part is two pieces of wine crate dividers glued together. The spindles came from a dumpster dive-rescue. This dumpster was loaded with many fun things that I'm still utilizing nearly a year after raiding it.



Spindles were coated with homemade stain. Afterwards I just wasn't feeling the whole "chair" look so the top was nixed and the spindles were adjusted to fit the sides. The top and bottom were remnant pieces of wood stained in Minwax walnut. 









Turned out perfect for the farmhouse look we're going for. 

There is another chalkboard nearly complete. Will share that soon. 

PhotobucketClick Here

Comments

  1. Your sign turned out great, Audra! One piece of pie for me, please :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audra you are a kindred spirit. I am also on the lookout to repurpose old things that I have in my house or upcylce them. That has become my purpose in life... You have a great blog here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Mary! Repurposing is fun for me, too. Definitely stretches the crafting muscles at times!

      Delete
  3. You are super crafty my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is one of my favorite projects done by you!!!! Pinned to the Trash 2 Treasure Highlights board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project! What a score on your dumpster dive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, I think the spindles add so much character! And you can never have too many chalkboards I always say!
    xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such fun chalkboard projects! Love your creative use of all the salvaged pieces. Thank you for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute reuse for those spindles! Thanks for sharing it at the Vintage Inspiration Party. I'm giving you a shout-out on Facebook here - https://www.facebook.com/KnickofTime

    ReplyDelete
  9. Featuring this tonight on Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never know what to do with old chair spindles. This is so smart! Love how you found a new way to repurpose them into something so useable! XO-Wendi @H2OBungalow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment